Friday, June 8, 2007

My garden-- FINALLY!!!

HOW LONG HAVE I BEEN TALKING ABOUT PLANTING A GARDEN???

I finally did it last Friday (while Greg was out of town-- that's when I do all my BIG projects). The boys and I hopped in the car Friday evening to go pick out some flowers. I had no idea what I was doing. And decided to start with an 'inspiration flower' and build from there. I also decided to do some annuals and some perennials (honestly, when I started, I couldn't remember which was which.. which ones would come back next year & which I would have to re-plant.. but I think I've got it now. Annuals, you plant annually.. right?)

So, my inspiration flower were the white Osteospermum with purple centers (annual).
I also used:
purple Speedwell (perennial)
purple Pincushion Flowers (perennial)
pink & yellow English Daisy (perennial)
yellow Marigolds (annual)
purple Lobelia (annual)
pink Geraniums (annual)



Charlie insisted that we needed some orange. We got orange Marigolds, pink Geraniums, & purple Lobelia for our 3 big pots.

After I put the boys to bed, I planted my bed at 9pm. It was so fun! Then next morning I let the boys help me plant the pots.

The first 3 days the garden had to suffer 90 degree temps. I didn't think they were going to make it. Everytime I checked on them they were wilted piles of leaves and stems. But after 2 days of rain, they are looking great. I took these pictures today after I put in the rest of my leftover Marigolds and Lobelia. I think I planted too much. They are all supposed to grow anywhere between 10" to 18" in height & 8" to 18" in width. But it's my first garden. Totally experimental.






3 comments:

Jenny and Jared said...

Jared again. You gotta make it work with what you got. Pots all the way. I am scared for my backyard. I will have to learn sprinkler systems and zones, run water lines, learn drip rates, how often and all with new plants that I dont know anything about.

Genny said...

So cute! I'm jealous. I have a total black thumb.
You have the annual/perennial thing right...I always remember it because a line from my favorite poem is "perennial as the grass..." and grass comes back every year. But I think your way is less complicated.

julie said...

Just today I was thinking how fun it would be to plant flowers. Good job!