Monday, September 17, 2007

Harvest Time





Yesterday, Charlie harvested the sunflower that he's been growing this summer.

He started it from a seed in our kitchen in a yogurt cup then transplanted it to our flower bed. It went crazy.


At first he was horrified at what we were going to do to his baby... "You're going to CUT THE HEAD OFF OF MY SUNFLOWER? NOOOOOO....." But after we explained what we were going to do with the seeds he was all for it. We're going to save some of the seeds for next summer and see if we can keep the same monster plant going. The rest we're going to eat!





In this book I've been reading, Preparedness Principles, there's a chapter on indoor gardening! I had no idea that you can grow several vegetables in pots inside your house - it claims that lettuce, onions, carrots, and broccoli work great (along with herbs, of course). I think that we're going to give indoor farming a try this winter. I love houseplants and why not grow something that we could eat! The boys will love it and now is the perfect time to more get gardening supplies on clearance (You know how I love saving money!).

2 comments:

julie said...

Wow, what a plant. I have never even thought about harvesting sunflowers, I just thought they were pretty to look at.

Jen said...

You know, I honestly never would have thought to harvest it either... that was totally Greg's idea and I'm glad he thought of it. I just picked it for Charlie becuase I knew he'd like watching it grow.. I was just growing it to grow it, but I'll let you know how the seeds turn out!